Sunday, June 7, 2015

Le Lemuriens Sont "Comme Ci, Comme Ça"

I ended up not blogging for the past few days because there aren't a lot to talk about except the same monotonous routine with training these lemurs. It is by all means not boring, just same old, same old. I also don't want to jinx something so keep your eyes peeled.

My sample size is dwindling as I soon realize that there is a learning curve amongst species and unfortunately I only have 2 star students. However, I am not giving up on them in the entirety, but I'd like to move my star students into testing phase as soon as possible because who cares about failing students. Amirite? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a parallel to be drawn about my apparatus and Common Core but this is neither here nor there because I am not a teacher and I only train non human primates (unless you count my husband).

I had to do some re-adjustment with the size of my stimuli after running a few testing trials this week. Thank goodness my husband can get it done in a matter of minutes! You might think you are 100% prepared but when you actually work with your subjects, you'll notice that YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.

On a related note, I am so glad I was able to upgrade my Android tablet (part of my apparatus) to Lollipop because the lemurs were doing more than touching the screen. They were swiping on places they are not supposed to and that brings up the menu window or different tabs. Being able to upgrade to Lollipop will make it possible to lock the screen, so doesn't matter where the lemurs touch or swipe, the program will not tab out.

More training next week! And I might have a research assistant ...

No comments: