Friday, September 4, 2009

Jane Goodall's New Book, "Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink"

Jane Goodall's new book, Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink.

I was at The Union Square Barnes and Nobles yesterday evening for Jane Goodall's book signing. She, along with Thane Maynard (Cincinnati Zoo director) and Gail Hudson (author of Harvest of Hope), was there to give a brief talk and sign her new book Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink. I have yet to read the book but a chance to meet her in person (even for 1 minute) was exciting for me. I must admit that I was kinda shaking (again, with excitement) when I told her she's a great inspiration though she just looked at me slowly and smiled. She's pretty much the Whitney Houston of primatology, so she needs her diva moment. I will write more about the book once I am done with it.


I'm sure most people associate Jane Goodall with chimpanzees and primatology, but did you know that along with Dian Fossey (studied mountain gorillas) and Biruté Galdikas (studies orangutan), they are referred to as "Leakey's Angels"? Yes, Leakey as in Louis Leakey, the famous archaeologist who worked at Olduvai Gorge and discovered Oldowan tools.

No comments: